Sunday, March 29, 2009

Further evidence of our ancestry.

I was watching one of Planet Earth episodes about life in the tropics when they showed the Macacque monkeys in Indonesia swimming underwater which apparently was just for fun. At one point one the playful ones surfaced near the shore and started scratching under his chin with his hind leg. There was a certain quirkiness in the way it went about it, funny at times. Suddenly a thought came out of nowhere and I wanted to see if I can scratch my chin with my feet too.

Well, it took a little effort, but now I can proudly say to the macaques, Aha. Now, if only I can dive underwater like them, I could probably pass for one of them.

I know, I know, I am an idiot.


On a seperate note, I ran a 5k race this morning. I completed it in 24:15 min. I had been gearing up for this for the past month, mostly by running on the treadmill. I learned that if your shin bone hurts when you run, its not because you are low on calcium but your feet have pronation(they don't land right). I bought running shoes which fixed the problem.

Update: Heres a link that gives you a lot of good information on shin splints and how to deal with it.

Anyway, I noticed something interesting happen during the race. Just past the 2 Km mark when I started to get tired, I was suddenly overcome with emotion, almost to the point that I wanted to cry. It would go and after a few minutes I would have the same thing happen to me again. I figured it out eventually, it was the endorphins. The lazy bastards, instead of making me happy, they tried to take the easy way out. Fortunately, my superior intellect prevailed and sanity reigned. By the way, I finished 183rd in the race and 3rd in my team.

No comments: