Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Here Nicky Nicky Nicky



I have been house sitting my friends cat Nicky for the past week feeding him and playing with him. Hes fun to be with, especially when he walks up to you, then drops, literally, to the ground right beside you, does a quick rollover, and the does it again one more time. He reaches out with his front paw trying to touch you when he is rolling over. Weird but funny.

He spends the day indoors and prowls the neighbourhood at night. Last Wednesday, I had duty at the squad. I fed him and since he wasn't interested in going outside, I left him in the house. I come back the next morning to see him outside waiting for me! I didn't think too much into it. I figured, maybe one of my friends tenants let him out.

The exact opposite happens Friday. I let him out, and find him inside the house Saturday morning. This started getting interesting! Not enough to pique my curiosity though. I was too busy with other stuff that needed to get done.

Saturday evening was my weekend duty. I left leaving him indoors. I come back Sunday evening and hes outside. Now now, this cannot be! I had to find out how hes doing this.

I go downstairs check with the tenants but they are gone for the weekend. I then search all over the house for some  kind of opening. All the windows are either shut or have mesh on the outside. After a 15 minutes of searching I found this 2 inch wide cut on the duct tape by the bedroom window A/C unit. I did not want to cover it, but still wanted to find out if he was using. Oddly enough, Misery by Stephen King came to mind. Specifically how Annie Wilkes glues strands of her hair to things to figure out if Paul Sheldon is snooping around the house. NO, I DID NOT USE MY HAIR, but used a book to close the gap partially instead. If I find the book on the floor I know he has used this route. I also needed to know by tomorrow since I was leaving for NJ the next day. I set the whole thing up and wait that night.

I purposefully come in late the next morning to check on him. He's inside waiting for me. No surprise there I guess. I rush into the bedroom to check the book. It was still standing! Wait! this cannot be?!! How the hell is he doing this? I checked the whole house again. There really is other means of getting in or out. I look down and say, "Dude, how are you doing this?". He turns towards me, blinks slowly and says, "Meooowww".

Disappointed, I start to head downstairs when I realize the mail has been picked off the floor. That means someone did come in this morning! I guess he came in with them. I look back at him. He purrs and meows. My plan didn't work because he probably didn't have to use his entrance. Thats good news, but not good enough for me.

The fact is, and people who know me will tell you, I am not a patient guy. I need things to happen and happen right away. If they don't I will probably keep at it until they happen. Not this time though. Nicky has not just outsmarted me, but taught me a lesson in patience. I was thinking of emailing my friend when she gets back and have her test my theory but I am going to hold back myself till I get back. Its almost a month, but its gonna seem like a year. :)  

No comments: