Tuesday, January 27, 2009

You can probably try this if your two wheeler runs out of gas

I want to share a fond memory(from about 7-8 years ago) which came to me when I was riding back home from work. A little bit of imagination is required to enjoy it.

First, a little bit of a background. My house is located at the corner of the first turn on a U shaped street. So if you look from the intersection section you will see our apartment. and it will look like the street ends at it.

This part is also related to the story. I had rescued two kittens which I rescued from the telephone exchange building behind our apartment. Chinna Pappa and Periya Pappa. The older one is Chinna pappa(Named after the characters in a tamil sitcom). Chinna means small and periya mean big, and pappa means child. Yes, thats how it is in the sitcom, the mother-in-law is chinna pappa and the daughter-in-law is periya pappa. They fight all the time and is seldom funny. Anyway, at the time of this story the kittens were about an year old I think and they mostly stayed outside. They kind of knew when any of my family members or myself come home everyday. They would wait at the intersection and when they see us they would race us to our apartment. It was almost a daily routine.

We had this moped which I borrowed from my cousin since I let ours get stolen. Yup, it was purely my careless behaviour that led it to get stolen(I was too lazy to lock it when I went to my friends place). So whenever I give a ride to my mom, somehow this thing started that when returning home, I would accelerate as I enter the street, cut the ignition halfway and then bet with my mom if the moped would roll on and reach our apartment building. I would ask her "Gummaaa Gummaadhaa", it got condensed from Pogumaa Pogaadhaa (Will it or will it not go[all the way])? She would always answer Gummaadhu(It wont go[all the way]). Now, as soon as it starts to slow to a crawl, I would start giving it thrusts with my hip, giving it that little extra to get it home(picture yourself on a office chair (the one with wheels under it) with your legs off the floor, hands not holding on any other object and then imagine trying to move it).

About these two kittens. You see, they have a peculiar way to race, they will race you in such a way they are always only just ahead of you. So, if you slow down, they slow down, if you stop they stop and wait for you to start moving again.

The whole thing went like this for a while, and by the time of this particular memory they had gotten very much used to my shenanigan. This is what happened that night.

- The kittens see my come, they get ready.
- I hear the meow(thats their call for get-set-go), I accelerate, and they start running.
- I was feeling lucky so a little before halfway, I turned off the power. A few seconds later, I can see the two kittens have noticed me and are slowing down too.
- I am close, but down to almost crawling speed. I was beginning to have doubts for the first time if I was going to make it. The two kittens meanwhile have stopped and waiting for me to come closer. They wait and wait, and I am there heaving. They look at each other then look at me and then start playing. I am like, "hey wait, I am still moving, arent I !?", determined to make it, no matter what. By the time I reach the gate, I had been concentrating so hard that I didn't notice the two have vanished. I guessed they probably got bored or lost faith in me. Well, they had not totally vanished, there they were, now waiting at the stairs for the next leg of the race, up 4 flights of stairs to our apartment.

As I was writing I realized, I do have one of the coolest gummi. We had so much fun those days. Even now when I call her, we almost always end up laughing.

P.S: I still havent lost that bet.

No comments: